[rdiff-backup-users] Restore while backing up

From: Laurent De Buyst
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Restore while backing up
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 14:06:11 +0200

I doubt I'm the first to run into this, but google didn't help...

I tried to restore a whole directoy to /tmp and I got this error message:

"Fatal Error: It appears that a previous rdiff-backup session with process id 17597 is still running.  If two different rdiff-backup processes write the same repository simultaneously, data corruption will probably result.  To proceed with regress anyway, rerun rdiff-backup with the --force option."

So first off, as far as I know, restoring something does not involve a "write [to] the same repository". So I'm confused as to why this error message says so.

I'm tempted by the --force, but just for safety I look at the man page beforehand.

"--force
              Authorize a more drastic modification of a directory than usual (for instance, when overwriting of a destination  path,  or  when  removing
              multiple  sessions  with --remove-older-than).  rdiff-backup will generally tell you if it needs this.  WARNING: You can cause data loss if
              you mis-use this option.  Furthermore, do NOT use this option when doing a restore, as it will DELETE FILES,  unless  you  absolutely  know
              what you are doing."

Not only do I find a complete contradiction of what I was told two seconds ago (ie. don't use --force), it again refers to restores that write files...

Can someone clear up my confusion? Can I restore files while a backup is happening and if yes, how do I do that safely?

Laurent De Buyst
System administrator
Disclaimer | Please consider the environment before printing