Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Windows backup to Linux Server

From: Dominic Ferard
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Windows backup to Linux Server
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2014 10:51:53 +0100

Remus,

I think there have been reports here of problems both with using rdiff-backup via samba (smb) and, independently, to a Windows destination. By contrast, backup from Windows to Linux via ssh is well tested and reliable - except perhaps (others may know better) when restoring Windows ACLs.

You might like to look at my TimeDicer project http://www.timedicer.co.uk, this uses rdiff-backup and is designed for local network data backup from Windows with an option for secondary offsite backup. It uses a special-purpose server based on Ubuntu and communication is by ssh. (For offsite backup of the server it uses rsync with ssh and --link-dest.) For file recovery it includes rdiffWeb.

An alternative is JBackpack http://www.nongnu.org/jbackpack/, this has options to use ssh or smb for communication.

Dominic