Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Possible to merge backups of the same source on

From: Dominic Raferd
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Possible to merge backups of the same source on multiple destinations?
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 16:09:57 +0100

Steve, I'm not clear if the backups to which you are referring are rdiff-backup archives or just straightforward copies of the source data. If the former then you could just run rdiff-backup from each backup location in turn (starting with the oldest) to a single new rdiff-backup archive location.

If the old backups were themselves taken with rdiff-backup then you can still do this but you need to exclude from each session the source rdiff-backup-data directories; from your new archive you should be able to recover what was the most recent backup at each original backup location but not any earlier backups that were in the original rdiff-backup archives.

In either case, once you have done this you can then just run rdiff-backup periodically from the source data to the same new archive location.

HTH, Dominic