Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Gentoo masking rdiff-backup

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Gentoo masking rdiff-backup
Date: Sat, 17 May 2014 09:27:26 -0700

On Mon, 14 Apr 2014 18:50:43 +0800
Patrick Lauer <address@hidden> wrote:

Patrick> Dead upstream, has known dataloss bugs.  Please use
Patrick> something more sane: rsnapshot, backuppc, obnam, ...

Tobias> I have been using rdiff-backup for years now on multiple
Tobias> machines, it has been always working fine for me and I really
Tobias> love it.  Additionally, afaik there's no drop-in replacement
Tobias> doing basically the same thing atm.

Patrick> Yes. But I've had two dataloss situations where rdiff-backup
Patrick> responds to any error (e.g. network connection dropping, disc
Patrick> hiccup) by suiciding with no good way to recover the backups.

Ok.  An important point though: do the "something saners" listed do
better _in those circumstances_ ?