Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Removing intermediate snapshot

From: Dominic Raferd
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Removing intermediate snapshot
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 09:25:39 +0000

I'm afraid that the short answer is: no

In most situations there should be no need to remove an intermediate backup because there would be little space saving. However in some situations it would be very helpful - say if you backed up the wrong stuff into an existing repository on one occasion (and then subsequently corrected it). Still, there is no easy way to fix this.

What can be done is to regress a repository day-by-day to get back beyond the 'bad' backup and then start anew from there. If the backup(s) you wish to remove are reasonably recent, and you don't mind losing any changes since then, this might be appropriate, and I have a script which can help (which I posted here a few weeks ago).

Dominic