[rdiff-backup-users] Removing intermediate snapshot

From: Alex Schuster
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Removing intermediate snapshot
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 13:00:00 +0100

Hi there!

I'm a happy rdiff-backup user, this utility is really excellent. Great work!

But some backup partitions are getting full. Is there a possibility to
remove not only the oldest backups(s), but some backups in between? For my
/home directory, the last backup is most important of course, but I would
also like to be able to restore the very first backup I did make. All other
backups in between are not that important, and I would like to remove some.
But rdiff-backup only has a --remove-older-than <date> option, not something
like --remove-between <date1> <date2>. Is there some workaround, or do I
want the impossible?

I'm expecially concerned about one backup that has very much data in it that
was only temporary and is no longer needed. I read I could remove those
specific files if I am careful, but I still think there is an important
feature missing.

        Wonko