[rdiff-backup-users] Using the --remove-older-than option, clarification

From: Chris G
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Using the --remove-older-than option, clarification required
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 13:08:39 +0000

I have some big chunks of backup I want to remove.  For example I have
backed up a load of virtual machines unnecessarily, these are in
/home/chris/.VirtualBox.

So what do I actually do?  The backup command is:-

    /opt/bin/rdiff-backup /DataVolume/chris /ExtendVolume/chris

(the files on /DataVolume are put there across the network by rsync)

Is the way to remove my .VirtualBox directory this:-

    rdiff-backup --remove-older-than 1s --force /ExtendVolume/chris/.VirtualBox

(I have already told rsync not to copy the .VirtualBox directory across
and I have removed it from /DataVolume)

No, can't do that, it just says:-

    address@hidden rdiff-backup --remove-older-than 1s --force
/ExtendVolume/chris/.VirtualBox
    Fatal Error: Increments for directory /ExtendVolume/chris/.VirtualBox
cannot be removed separately.
    Instead run on entire directory /ExtendVolume/chris.

So the FAQ is a bit misleading, or at least doesn't simply say 'no' to
the question.

Is there any way out of this problem?  If I simply remove .VirtualBox
from /ExtendVolume will anything break, i.e. can I continue to run my
rdiff-backup as at present without seeing loads of errors?

--
Chris Green