[rdiff-backup-users] Completely remove files / subfolder trees from RDif

From: D. Kriesel
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Completely remove files / subfolder trees from RDiff repository
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 09:59:46 +0100

Dear List,

I keep getting errors "SHA1 digest doesnt't match" in verification  caused
by some files that are not important to me. However, these errors are quite
a bit nasty because they make the verification cronjobs send me e-mails.

As far as I understood the documentation of RDiff, in order do completely
remove given files and all of ist traces from a rdiff repository, I have to
1) delete the file in the mirrordata
2) delete all the increment and other files in the respective folder oft the
rdiff-backup-data/increments folder
3) traverse all the metadata snapshots and mirrors and remove any traces oft
hat file.

Is this assumption correct?

Now, here's the main question: Is there a command for rdiff that does the
job automatically? Especially traversing all the metadata can be a pain in
the ass even for one single file to remove. The best implementation would be
something like the include/exclude syntax which then is matched throughout
all of the three steps above. Optionally, it would be great to leave the
rdiff repository in an recognizably intermediate state, that can be
regressed if the operation fails, but this is not important (shouls be just
common sense to keep a copy of your repository when performing such
operations).

If there is no commandline parameter that does the job (I have not found
any), then I would like to request the feature ... :-)

Cheers,
David.

---------8<--------------------------------------------------------
David Kriesel
http://www.dkriesel.com

Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn (University of Bonn)
Department of Computer Science I
Computational Geometry
Römerstr. 164
53117 Bonn
Germany

Personal:
Graurheindorfer Str. 75
D-53111 Bonn
Germany
Phone: +49 177 423 4223

Current geographical location in Google Earth:
N 50°44'42.45" E 7° 5'44.09" (just to be copied in the search field)