[rdiff-backup-users] bzip2 and 7zip ?

From: Marian 'VooDooMan' Meravy
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] bzip2 and 7zip ?
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 13:38:06 +0200

EHLO

ping? No response over time...

I know that 7zip has "ultra compression" profile algorithm, which eats
up all your CPU, but today, there are multi-core systems - of which 7zip
is able to take advantage - it is muti-threaded, and it should be fine
to set configuration option (command-line option) to chose from 1. gzip
(as now it is this way), or 2. bz2, or 3. 7zip and in case of 7zip the
"depth" of compression + how many threads (cpu cores) the 7zip should
use and of what niceness. It is always up to the user, whether they want
simple and fast compression, or deep compression && don't mind about
excessive CPU load - in docs, they always can be warned... it is the
matter of priorities and backup operator's preference and decision...

best,
VooDooMan
.