Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Error "Unable to compare" BUT THEN"Nochanges fo

From: Steven Willoughby
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Error "Unable to compare" BUT THEN"Nochanges found. Directory matches." What?
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 10:45:26 -0600

On 08/11/2010 08:03 PM, Robinson, Eric wrote:
 I've never tried using --compare-hash.
 There has been a lot of talk in the past about how to
 verify backups and really for me the only full proof solution
 is to restore somewhere and compare (diff) against original.
Unfortunately, I am talking about directories with up to 2 million files
each. I can't really afford (in terms of time or storage) to copy the
data from the backup server to the source servers and compare it that
way. Is there no way to do a good in-place comparison?

The rdiff-backup comparison should work if you're using a recent rdiff-backup on both ends. (As mentioned in my last email.) If you only care about comparing with the most recent backup then you could probably do something like:

rsync -azv --del --dry-run --exclude=rdiff-backup-data/ $source/ $backup/

This should print out a list of all files that have changed. To do a full comparison you'll want to add -I.

Steven

P.S.  In the past I have also done this with something like the following:

find $source -type f -exec md5sum {} \; | sort -k 2 > /tmp/source
find $dest -type f -exec md5sum {} \; | sort -k 2 > /tmp/dest
diff /tmp/source /tmp/dest