Re: [rdiff-backup-users] ext3 to fat issue with case sensitivity

From: Adrian Klaver
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] ext3 to fat issue with case sensitivity
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 11:53:48 -0800

On Sunday 14 February 2010 3:43:15 am Patrice Dumas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use rdiff-backup 1.2.8 on a debian squeeze.
> I would like to use rdiff-backup from an ext3 partition to a
> fat partition. Although it is never said completly explicitly, it
> seems that rdiff-backup should be able to handle the differences of
> the filesystems automatically, for example according to this FAQ entry:
> http://rdiff-backup.nongnu.org/FAQ.html#case_insensitive
>
> Now, when I try to backup a simple directory with files in it
> I get an error:
>
> ls -lR test_rdiff2/
> test_rdiff2/:
> total 0
> -rw-r--r-- 1 dumas dumas 0 Feb 14 11:30 BB
> -rw-r--r-- 1 dumas dumas 0 Feb 14 11:29 bb
>
> rdiff-backup test_rdiff2 /media/HD-PEU2/tttttr2
> Warning: hard linking not supported by filesystem at
> /media/HD-PEU2/tttttr2/rdiff-backup-data UpdateError rdiff-backup.tmp.2
> [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/media/HD-PEU2/tttttr2/bb'

"Warning: hard linking not supported by filesystem at"

Seems the issue is related to hard linking not case.

See here:
http://rdiff-backup.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup.1.html

--no-hard-links
              Don't  replicate  hard links on destination side.  If many hard-
              linked files are present, this option can  drastically  decrease
              memory  usage.   This option is enabled by default if the backup
              source or restore destination is running on native Windows.

You might to try adding this switch to see if it helps.

--
Adrian Klaver
address@hidden