Re: [rdiff-backup-users] --exclude-other-file-systems and mountpoints

From: Daniel Reichelt
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] --exclude-other-file-systems and mountpoints
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 10:48:23 +0100

> Not copying the mountpoint directory seems to be wrong as the directory
> really is on the filesystem. And when you unmount you do get the
> mountpoint dir.

ACK

> The device number of the mountpoint is the device number of the mounted
> filesystem. I wonder how rsync solves this.

Nice. Thx for the input! Within the rsync source (at least from debian, didn't
look at upstram), I found a perl script which supposedly can tell mountpoints
apart from their parent file systems by parsing /proc/mounts. I haven't
retraced its steps in detail yet, but it looks promising. This probably could
and should be adopted to python...

@Andrew
What do you think of this? Is it worth fixing? If you consider this a bug, that
is. (I surely hope so..)

Regards,
Daniel