Re: [rdiff-backup-users] --exclude-other-file-systems and mountpoints

From: Jakob Unterwurzacher
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] --exclude-other-file-systems and mountpoints
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 16:01:37 +0100

Daniel Reichelt schrieb:
> Hi all!
>
> Is there an easy way to specify --exclude-other-file-systems but have
> the empty directory of the mountpoint included in the backup?
>
> [...]
>
> PS: Please CC me in your answer since I'm not on the list.

Interesting.

$ rsync --one-file-system

copies the mountpoint directory, while

$ rdiff-backup --exclude-other-file-systems

does not.

I don't know any way to do what you want. And it's also what i want, up
to now i thought rdiff-backup would do it like rsync.
Not copying the mountpoint directory seems to be wrong as the directory
really is on the filesystem. And when you unmount you do get the
mountpoint dir.

I guess the problem is this:

$ stat /proc
  File: `/proc'
  Size: 0               Blocks: 0          IO Block: 1024   directory
Device: 3h/3d   Inode: 1           Links: 213

        ^^^^^

$ stat /usr
  File: `/usr'
  Size: 4096            Blocks: 8          IO Block: 4096   directory
Device: 802h/2050d      Inode: 5898241     Links: 15

The device number of the mountpoint is the device number of the mounted
filesystem. I wonder how rsync solves this.

Jakob