[rdiff-backup-users] Re: Computed SHA1 digest doesn't match recorded dig

From: Daniel Miller
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Computed SHA1 digest doesn't match recorded digest
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 09:59:28 -0400

This is starting to make me a little nervous. It sounds like no one knows (or cares?) how to fix this issue (see below), and I'm worried that it may eventually hit a file that is critical. The error has not changed at all since I started to see it, but it does continue to appear each day in the backup log.

The design of rdiff-backup concerns me because it seems there is no way to restore older backups once an increment becomes corrupted. One mishap and all older revisions are lost. It sounds like some people on this list have experienced that issue, and I am starting to worry about the integrity of my long-term backups. How are other people dealing with this issue? Do you start a new rdiff-backup series every now and then to mitigate the risk of corruption, or is there some other technique to avoiding loss of older revisions?

I do keep copies of my backup repository on multiple drives, so I am not vulnerable to a single drive failure. Technically this also protects me from the "one mishap" I mentioned above as well, but if some corruption sneaked by without my noticing it in the first three days, then all my copies would be corrupt and I'd lose all historical backups beyond the point of corruption--very bad.

I've started to look at StoreBackup as an alternative, since it claims that "each backup set is totally complete, independent, and autonomous". However, StoreBackup seems to be even less popular than rdiff-backup, and therefore has less of a community to provide support. Am I missing something big in that assessment? I'm also a little concerned that I have not been able to find any well- documented examples of running StoreBackup on OS X, although I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty getting it to work. Some other concerns with StoreBackup are:

- support for file meta-data such as ACL's and resource forks on OS X (notably, rdiff-backup does not support ACL's on OS X) - ability to maintain multiple copies of the backup repository. This must be possible in a fairly short amount of time, since I will need a complete copy of the repo each day (currently I use rsync to dup my rdiff-backup repo, and since I'm updating an image that is only three days old, it's reasonably fast).

Granted, StoreBackup may not be quite as space efficient as rdiff- backup (which has performed AMAZINGLY in that regard), but space is not a huge issue for me at the moment, so I'm moving that below long- term reliability on the priorities list.

Your thoughts/experience are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

~ Daniel