Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Case sensitivity problem

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Case sensitivity problem
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 01:24:35 -0400

padoivi wrote:
> I am pretty sure that I never have two files with the same name
> ("foo" and "FOO") and thus a nice option would be
> "--dont-mess-with-my-file-names-I-know-what-Iam-doing", even though I
> understand how risky this could be.

That's what --override-chars-to-quote does.  The fact that this causes
an error indicates you do not in fact know what you're doing.

> Well, this is true if you use "rdiff-backup --restore ..." to restore
> your files but using a basic "cp" of the mirror files will not
> restore properly file names, will it ?

No.

 I am worried about that since
> the last backup software I used would not allow me to recover my file
> without using a specific command such as "rdiff-backup --restore
> ...". It is critical for me that basic restore can be done easily
> using "cp", even though in most of the case, the backup software
> specific command will work.

Obviously, you can do basic restores with cp -a, though the filenames
will be "off".  But rdiff-backup should let you undo the escaping and
restore the current mirror, even if the rdiff-backup-data directory is lost.

> I was thinking about this solution but I want to be sure that this
> will solve my "problem" before going through the process of backing
> up my backup drive.

Yes, it will.  If the target of the rdiff-backup is ext3 no escaping
will be necessary or done.

Matt Flaschen