Re: [rdiff-backup-users] 1.2.6: warning about broken support for extende

From: Andreas Olsson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] 1.2.6: warning about broken support for extended attributes
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 21:14:20 +0100

On Wednesday 28 January 2009 20:46:39 Andrew Ferguson wrote:
> What's wrong with this warning? If Ubuntu is providing a version of
> pyxattr without the __version__ symbol, then there's nothing rdiff-
> backup can do to confirm whether or not correct support is present.
> You're right that 0.2.2 fixed the support.

Not entirely sure it this an Ubuntu bug.

I went to the pyxattr repository and fetched the original source. Installing
native versions of pyxattr 0.2.2 and pyxattr 0.3 still gave me the same
warning from rdiff-backup. Installning the native 0.4 version "solved" the
warning. Could the __version__ symbol be something which first appeared in the
0.4 version?

Of course, giving the warning from rdiff-backup might still be the sensible
thing, better safe the sorry, etc. Just thought I'd mention the issue.

// Andreas