Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Ubuntu rdiff-backup PPA?

From: Andreas Olsson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Ubuntu rdiff-backup PPA?
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 15:50:05 +0100

On Tuesday 27 January 2009 15:12:48 Dave Kempe wrote:
> Dominic wrote:
> > But I am not sure what official sanctioning there could be; Canonical
> > take no responsibility for private repositories, emphasizing 'you
> > should be happy that you trust the author of the package'. This is
> > something of a problem IMO.
True, hence I guess some kind of semi-official would be in order. Like being
mentioned on the main rdiff-backup pages, together with suitable
reservations.

> we actually already have these packaged for hardy and dapper in our
> private repos. I will talk to my guys and see what we can do to get them
> in a ppa if you like.

Kind of gotten most of it built nicely already.
https://launchpad.net/~andol/+archive

The good thing about this setup I've created so far is that you can build
gutsy-, hardy-, intrepid- and jaunty versions from pretty much the same
source package. That's something which makes the maintainace a lot nicer.

Dapper on the other hand has to be built from a different source package. If
you have something well put together in that area that surely would be nice.

> we also customised backupninja packages with lots of bugs fixed and
> features added. not sure if people would be interested in it.
Sounds interesting. Not that I use backupninja myself (yet), but I'm sure
there are plenty of people who do.

Regarding the setup I was kind of thinking in terms of having a dedicated team
account  on launchpad, providing somethink like a
https://launchpad.net/~rdiff-backup-pkgs/+archive

Then new packages could first be built in mine, or someone elses, PPA. If they
survive a couple of days testing they can then be copied to the "real" PPA.

Well, to be honest I didn't do all that thinking myself :) A lot of it's taken
from a blog post I read the other day.

http://castrojo.wordpress.com/2009/01/24/309/

// Andreas