Re: [rdiff-backup-users] backup misses files with older date

From: Paul Bijnens
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] backup misses files with older date
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 17:18:18 +0100

On 2009-01-09 17:01, Chris Wilson wrote:
On Wed, 7 Jan 2009, bt101 wrote:

I installed rdiff-backup and used it for a few days. I was eager to see how it would handle a small change to a large (2G) truecrypt file. I added a small file into the truecrypt file and then performed a backup. To my surprise, the truecrypt file was completely missed from the backup. I then looked at the modify date of the truecrypt file and it was old. It seems truecrypt will preserve the modify date (there's a setting to change it if you wish).

This is an annoying and pointless misfeature of truecrypt. It causes problems for other backup software as well. Turn it off if you want to back up truecrypt volumes, and complain to the developers of truecrypt. Timestamps exist for a reason and subverting them by default is dangerous and pointless. I'm fairly sure that the ctime will change whenever the volume is accessed as the timestamp is reset, and therefore changing the mtime provides only the tiniest shred of obscurity.

Be that as it may, am I to understand that backup programs will completely miss files that NEED to be backed-up, simply because their dates are old? Do they not do a checksum or something?

Almost all backup software will honour timestamps. They exist for a reason. Software that changes the data without changing the timestamp is broken.

GNUtar includes a file in the incremental backup if the mtime OR ctime
changes.   Does rdiff-backup check only the mtime and ignores the ctime?

--
Paul Bijnens
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *