[rdiff-backup-users] Re: Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs) for rdiff-back

From: Andrew Price
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs) for rdiff-backup - Later as Wiki-Entry - Request for comments now
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 18:49:38 +0000

Hi,

On 06/01/09 11:58, Oliver Mulatz wrote:
> Especially pyBackPack looks interesting, although it is not found in a
> Google-search for "rdiff-backup GUI".

I'm the maintainer of pybackpack and I follow the rdiff-backup list so
thanks for mentioning it. I'd like to clarify some points:

> ## PythonGTK2+ GUI for RDB ##

It requires some GNOME specific widgets to work at the moment. I'm
planning on stripping these and using GTK+ widgets only.

> Should work in CygWin under windows, too:

It should do in theory but I've yet to hear from anyone who has managed
it (and I don't have a Windows machine to test it on), so it probably
doesn't :-)

Also, I'm not sure if the switch has happened but Sivan Greenberg
mentioned something about switching HUBackup to use rdiff-backup:
http://sivang.blogspot.com/2007/10/hubackup-and-rdiff-backup-or-how-i.html

There are some things I'd like to see changed in rdiff-backup to make
writing a UI for it easier (e.g. progress callbacks, no sys.exit()
calls). I'll probably start a new thread or submit some patches about
these points when I've done more research into them.

My thanks go to Andrew Ferguson and the other contributors for keeping
rdiff-backup ticking. It's much appreciated.

Cheers,

--
Andy Price