[rdiff-backup-users] Re: Windows Vista - infinite recursion problem

From: Oliver Mulatz
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Windows Vista - infinite recursion problem
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 13:27:10 +0100

Hello Stephen,

I am trying to use rdiff-backup to backup my Windows Vista machine,
however, I keep getting stuck with Vista's infinitely recursed
directories.. rdiff-backup keeps digging down levels and it could be
left forever and never get anywhere.

For example, I am getting stuck within:
C:\Users\All Users\Application Data\Application Data\Application
Data\Application Data\........

this is strange, on my Windows boxes I do not have this link to itself,
can you simply delete it, so no other actions are required?

It is worth nothing that the 'All Users' directory is not accessible
via normal methods.

The command I am using to run rdiff is:

C:\rdiff-backup>rdiff-backup.exe --exclude-symbolic-links
--exclude-special-files \
 -v5 --no-hard-links  C:/Users/ ./zoot

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated :)

If you cannot delete the link, you could use '--exclude' or
'--exclude-filelist[-stdin]' to stop this infinite recursion.

Essentially I am after a simple way to do incremental backups of my
Vista box, and rdiff works great for my linux machines... if there is
a better solution for Vista, I would love to hear about it :)

There is none ;-) (with the capabilities of storing an arbitrary number of
previous
versions in a space-efficient manner) AFAICT.

You could use Cygwin to run it via cron/anacron to automate this further and to
closely
emulate Linux behaviour, including using shell-scripts, all common
Unix-commands,...

HTH
Cheers, Oliver