Re: [rdiff-backup-users] bug/crash on read-only file in incremental back

From: Veder
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] bug/crash on read-only file in incremental backup
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 15:08:04 +0100

On Nov 14, 2008, at 8:18 AM, Philip Warner wrote:
Hi,

On windows, I get the following crash when doing an incremental on a
file that is read-only, but which has been updated.

Googling produced the only other reference:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/rdiff-backup-users/2008-11/msg00011.html

which went unanswered.

Any suggestions?

Philip --

Thank you for bringing this issue up again. Somehow, I missed the earlier post.

I'll work on fixing this bug for the next release. On Unix, I believe rdiff-backup generally handles this situation correctly. From your traceback, it is clear that Windows returns Windows-specific error codes in this instance, which rdiff-backup was unprepared to handle.

Andrew

Thanks for reviving my original report. I only got an
off-list response by the windows maintainer but did not
hear anything ever since.

I would like to add an extra observation on this issue.
It appears that the read-only attribute is also applied
on the corresponding meta-data in folder
'rdiff-backup-data\increments'. The corresponding gzipped
diff also carries the r-attribute. I wonder if this is
by design. If so, it probably will have to be addressed also.

Erwin