Re: [rdiff-backup-users] found too many current mirror incs

From: Matthew Miller
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] found too many current mirror incs
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 10:03:56 -0500

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 09:42:51AM -0500, Andrew Ferguson wrote:
> How long does rdiff-backup "generally" take to complete on your system?
> (use the --print-statistics) option.
> Then, set your backup to run automatically in a time interval greater than
> that. For example, on my system it takes about 15 minutes. Therefore, if I
> wanted backups all the time, I would set it to run every 20 or 30 minutes.

Or:
 - make your script use a lockfile and skip running if the lock is held

Or:
 - run in a loop which sleep for 60 seconds between runs

Or:
 - use incrond to activate rdiff-backup only when files actually change,
   and use IN_NO_LOOP to prevent it from going off more than once at a time
   (and/or wrapper script to prevent it happening more than once a minute)

http://inotify.aiken.cz/?section=incron&page=about&lang=en

--
Matthew Miller           address@hidden          <http://mattdm.org/>