Re: [rdiff-backup-users] symlinks backed up by rdiff-backup have new cur

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] symlinks backed up by rdiff-backup have new current date
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 08:42:52 -0500

On Nov 10, 2008, at 2:33 AM, sanyock wrote:
After making a backup using rdiff-backup I compared it to another backup done by rsync. Comparision was done using rsync too with -- dry-run and --itemize-changes options. rsync reported incorrect time for all symlinks backed up by rdiff-backup. Symlink date/time has been reset to current time.

Please let me know, how is it possible to force rdiff-backup to keep original date/time of symlinks.

Hi,

You need to specify more information for people to be able to assist you, such as:

- what version of rdiff-backup
- what platform (OS) and version
- the filesystem you are backing up from and on to
- the commandline you used to run rdiff-backup

Also, remove the --dry-run option from rsync. Then, confirm with a second comparison (rsync --dry-run --itemize-changes) that the symlink date/time have actually been changed. Some filesystem/OS combinations do not support symlink time changes.

Andrew