Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Problem after upgrade

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Problem after upgrade
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 08:38:15 -0400

On May 6, 2008, at 3:24 AM, Pavel Lisy wrote:
 File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/eas_acls.py",
line 106, in write_to_rp
   rp.conn.xattr.setxattr(rp.path, name, value)
IOError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument
Fatal Error: Lost connection to the remote system

What does this mean? Can someone explain it to me?

Hi,

when I increased verbosity to 9 I saw this warning:

Warning: unable to remove xattr security.selinux

Hi Pavel,

What version of rdiff-backup are you running on the remote end? I just want to be sure that it is 1.1.15 as well.

Actually, I think this is a new error. You are seeing "[Errno 22] Invalid argument" from that call, whereas in the past, I have only seen "[Errno 45] Operation not supported" or "[Errno 1] Operation not permitted", both of which are now handled cleanly.

To add your new error to the list of "don't fail on this" errors, go to eas_acls.py. You should see a test around line 110, which has:

if exc[0] == errno.EOPNOTSUPP or exc[0] == errno.EACCES:

change to:

if exc[0] == errno.EOPNOTSUPP or exc[0] == errno.EACCES or exc[0] == errno.EINVAL:

and you should be good to go! The code in question should have a comment immediately above it that says:

# Mac and Linux attributes have different namespaces, so
# fail gracefully if can't call setxattr

let me know if it works,
Andrew