Re: [rdiff-backup-users] CPU overhead on local and remote ends

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] CPU overhead on local and remote ends
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 08:10:25 -0400

On May 9, 2008, at 7:55 AM, Jordi Mallach wrote:
I'd like to do parallel processes, so I ask: if I execute rdiff-backup
on the remote servers instead from the backup servers, would that be
better in terms of CPU usage on the backup server, or do the diff
calculations happen on the remote end?

Hi Jordi,

rdiff-backup uses the common rsync algorithm:

http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/tech_report/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync

which calculates checksums on *both* ends of the connection to minimize network bandwidth.

Andrew