[rdiff-backup-users] CPU overhead on local and remote ends

From: Jordi Mallach
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] CPU overhead on local and remote ends
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 13:55:48 +0200

Hello,

I'm writing some scripts to manage the backups of the servers in our
research institute, and I'd like some advice on rdiff-backup's CPU
usage.

Our current implementation starts rdiff-backup processes on the backups
server sequentially, for each of the servers that need to backup. Some
of the remote systems hold large amounts of data, so it takes some time.

I'd like to do parallel processes, so I ask: if I execute rdiff-backup
on the remote servers instead from the backup servers, would that be
better in terms of CPU usage on the backup server, or do the diff
calculations happen on the remote end?

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks,
Jordi
--
Jordi Mallach <address@hidden>
Àrea de Sistemes d'Informació :: Institut Tecnològic d'Informàtica