Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Merging repositories

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Merging repositories
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:34:17 -0500

Oliver Hookins wrote:
> I've been doing rdiff-backups from one machine to another, maintaining
> separate repositories for the different partitions (like /var, /usr and so
> on). I want to merge these together into a single repository for the
> machine - is there an easy way to do this? There's a lot of data in one of
> the repositories so I want to avoid taking a completely new backup of the
> machine at all costs.

Oliver,

If you don't care about maintaining the rdiff-backup history, I believe
you can simply:

1) delete all of the rdiff-backup-data directories
2) merge all of the repositories with the 'mv' command into the new
structure for the destination
3) run the new rdiff-backup command, but add the --force the first time.
This will cause rdiff-backup to use the existing files as the start of
the repository.

Try searching the mailing list for people doing similar things in the past.

Andrew

--
Andrew Ferguson - address@hidden