[rdiff-backup-users] bind/loop-mounted and cdrom filesystems, cache usag

From: Oliver Hookins
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] bind/loop-mounted and cdrom filesystems, cache usage.
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 14:59:02 +1100

Hi,

rdiff-backup has options to exclude device files, FIFOs, other filesystems
etc but what we'd find really useful is being able to exclude any
filesystems that are bind mounted, cdroms (i.e. iso9660), or loop-mounted.
Looking through Python docs I can't see any modules or any nice ways to do
this programmatically.

One possibility would be to parse /proc/mounts or
other files where mount information is kept and check the paths of the files
that are to be backed up but this seems hacky. Does anyone else have this
requirement?

Also we are backing up a number of machines with very many small files (say,
12 million or so). This results in lots of statfs() operations on these
files and the whole backup is very slow (mainly due to the server which has
to run a number of backups simultaneously). I thought perhaps making more use
of the inode cache would speed this up, but is there a better way of having
these backups that need to compare mtimes of lots of files make use of disk
or RAM?

--
Regards,
Oliver Hookins