Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Warning: Extended attributes file not found

From: Steve White
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Warning: Extended attributes file not found
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 11:27:35 +0100

Andrew,

On  7.01.08, Andrew Ferguson wrote:
> Steve White wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm getting these warnings from rdiff-backup 1.0.5 in a SL 4.5 system.
> >     Warning: Extended attributes file not found
> > They contain no further information.
> >
> > The question came up on this list some years ago:
> >     http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg00631.html
> > but the only answer was that rdiff-backup couldn't handle long file names.
> >
> > I would suggest that the warning should also indicate which file triggered
> > the problem.
>
> What does the -v5 option report?

I put the -v5 option into my backup script.   Output below.

Now I see file names (I still think that should have been part of the
original warning).

I don't understand the output regarding ACL's.  As near as I can tell,
there aren't any ACL's involved at all.  Perhaps it is really complaining
about something else?

Executing ssh -C address@hidden rdiff-backup --server
ACLs not supported by filesystem at /usr/local/jdk/tomcat/webapps/lenya
Detected abilities for source (read only) file system:
  Access control lists                         Off
  Extended attributes                          On
  Mac OS X style resource forks                Off
  Mac OS X Finder information                  Off
Extended attributes not supported by filesystem at
/work3/backup/mintaka-lenya/rdiff-backup-data/rdiff-backup.tmp.0
Detected abilities for destination (read/write) file system:
  Characters needing quoting                   ''
  Ownership changing                           Off
  Hard linking                                 On
  fsync() directories                          On
  Directory inc permissions                    On
  High-bit permissions                         On
  Access control lists                         Off
  Extended attributes                          Off
  Mac OS X style resource forks                Off
  Mac OS X Finder information                  Off
ACLs not supported by filesystem at
/work3/backup/mintaka-lenya/rdiff-backup-data/rdiff-backup.tmp.0

Steve White                                             +49(331)7499-202
Computer Programmierer                                    Zi. 35  Bg. 20
Astrophysikalisches Institut Potsdam (AIP)
An der Sternwarte 16, D-14482 Potsdam

Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Matthias Steinmetz, Peter A. Stolz

Stiftung privaten Rechts, Stiftungsverzeichnis Brandenburg: III/7-71-026