Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Error: Too Many values to unpack

From: Blair Zajac
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Error: Too Many values to unpack
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 17:23:40 -0700

On Jul 29, 2007, at 8:05 AM, micah wrote:

* Dave Kempe <address@hidden> [070728 16:32]:
micah wrote:
The one downside that maybe wasn't accounted for is that this breaks
rdiff-backup between Debian stable and both Debian testing and unstable. This means that to backup a Debian stable system with rdiff- backup, one
needs to backup to another stable system, whereas before this wasn't
necessary.

the same thing happened when debian decided to include the devel version of rdiff-backup instead of the stable version. I think it was around sarge
time.

This time Debian stable (etch) has the rdiff-backup stable version 1.1.5, and
the testing and unstable Debian have 1.1.12, until a newer verison is
released. But even when a newer version of rdiff-backup is released, it
will still be incompatible with 1.1.5.

I understand the reasons for doing this, but I don't understand why it
was only a minor version number changed. ABI changes require ABI number
changes, and with rdiff-backup I would have expected the version to
become 1.2.0, although it sounds like its about to come.

Seeing as Debian Stable is likely to be around for at least another year, this is likely going to be an issue that comes up frequently until a new version of Debian is released. One solution is a backport.org version of
the newer 1.1.12 version, but this is not a great solution either.

maybe we should build debs and put them on the rdiff-backup.org site.
would people be interested in my investigating that and making it happen?

Most Debian users know to look at backports.org for backports of newer
versions, so it seems to me that if a backport is done, it should be put
there, and then a link can be added to the rdiff-backup.org site to
point people there. No sense in maintaining two backports in two
different locations.

Fyi, I've put Ubuntu Dapper debs for 1.1.2 up at

http://www-devel.orcaware.com/packages/ubuntu/dapper/

This repository has debs for other packages, so be careful if you put this site in your sources.list.

Regards,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.