Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Error: Too Many values to unpack

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Error: Too Many values to unpack
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 15:52:01 -0400

micah wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 13:58:45 -0400, Andrew Ferguson wrote:
>
>> Marcelo Diotto wrote:
>>> But i always get this error:
>>>
>>> Exception 'too many values to unpack' raised of class
>>
>> You are not using the same version of rdiff-backup on both sides.
>>
>> An important change was made to the network protocol in 1.1.12 to fix a
>> long-standing bug. If you use 1.1.12 on both sides, then you will not
>> have this problem.
>
> Doesn't this violate the attempt to maintain compatibility with minor
> versions as described on the rdiff-backup website? Its my understanding
> that compatibility between minor versions (so that 1.1.6 and 1.1.9 are
> compatible, as well as 1.1.5 and 1.1.12 are compatible) was the intention?

Yes, it does. But I decided that:

- the protocol bugfix was more valuable
- it's a development version
- and lastly, the latest development version is always more stable than
older ones, thus if you are using 1.1.x, you should always have the
latest one

At any rate, I feel that the time is coming for a new stable, 1.2.x
series. There are just a couple more bugs I want to fix (Savannah #20342
and Ubuntu #128244) and then I'll try to freshen up the README and
release notes.

Andrew

--
Andrew Ferguson - address@hidden