Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup features?

From: rdiff
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup features?
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:19:39 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Andrew Ferguson wrote:
Step A, Backup Sync:
   1. Write changes as diffs against the current repository into
something like $REPO/rdiff-backup-data/scratch/.
   2. Simultaneously, write changes as rdiffs against the will-be new
version for placement in $REPO/rdiff-backup-data/increments/.

What do you do when the link goes down in the middle of Step A? The
file's you've already written scratch changes for could have changed, so
you'll have to recompare anyway.

True, but the new data wouldn't need to be retransfered.

Maybe the verdict is we should keep NEW files in a 'scratch area' in
case the link goes down? Then, in the backup after a failed backup,
rdiff-backup could inspect the scratch area for already transferred new
files? Those could then be the basis for a diff transfer.

Yes, but in the scratch area we should hold diffs to the changed files, not the changed files themselves for space saving concerns.

-Eric