Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup features?

From: Dave Kempe
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup features?
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 07:41:25 +1000

Joe Beda wrote:
To make rdiff-backup work for me, I'd have to add the following
features initially:
1) Support for recovering dropped or lost backups.
2) Support for handling moved files.
3) Add sneaker net type backups.

In addition, I'd be very interested in hearing anyone's experience
with the FUSE filesystem for accessing previous backups for
rdiff-backup (http://code.google.com/soc/2007/gentoo/appinfo.html?csaid=54C92C8CD707C04D).
This looks to be a Google SoC project and is very interesting.

So -- questions to the group: Are these features welcome?  Is anyone
already working on these?  Is there a development mailing list?

Hi Joe,
you should check out the wiki - these features are probably all the most requested ones on the mailing list as well. the sneaker net backups are probably already supported - we do this with usb drives - copy the entire source to a usb drive, and do to the datacentre, then do an rdiff-backup from usb-source to destination. rdiff-backup doesn't distinguish between sources as such.
Now this behaviour might need to be broken to track moves, not sure.

Most likely, to track moves you need to finish (or expand) the sha1 hashing support introduced in the CVS version.

Recovering dropped or lost backups is a good feature, however its important to preserve the certainty the current design gives about the destination being intact and accurate copy of the source at all(backup) points in time.

I hope you can contribute some code - if you need access to savannah I think I can set you up, please post patches to the mailing list to start with.

thanks

dave