Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Robustness to errors during backup

From: Steven Willoughby
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Robustness to errors during backup
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:58:16 -0600

Charles Duffy wrote:
Frederik wrote:
IOError: CRC check failed

So I see no way to recover any of the increments.

In over 12,000 rdiff-backup sessions, I have yet to encounter that issue
or anything like it (in terms of unrecoverability).

I'm with Maarten -- check your hardware.

This exact error (and some others) happened to me frequently a few months ago with a bad RAID card driver. At random (and somewhat infrequently) corrupt data would be written to a file. I was able to reproduce the problem by making several copies of a gigabyte file and then comparing the md5sums. The solution was to upgrade my kernel.

Steven