Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Robustness to errors during backup

From: Maarten Bezemer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Robustness to errors during backup
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 19:34:42 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007, Frederik wrote:

> --check-destination-dir happily crashes:
> address@hidden backup]# rdiff-backup --check-destination-dir Luna
> Exception 'CRC check failed' raised of class '<type 'exceptions.IOError'>':

Unless this is caused by a hard crash of the box you are running
rdiff-backup on, I would suggest checking your system's memory.
I've seen a LOT of quirks in all kinds of software, all of which turned
out to be bad RAM.

And, to give another swing to the robustness-discussion: it's almost
always possible to recover increment problems. If the `current' file is
corrupted, but the checksum matches the file on the backed-up system, try
replacing the file in the backup tree with a 'fresh' copy. Otherwise, you
could remove all references to the broken file(s) from rdiff-backups
history. In that case, you still lose one file's increments (which indeed
is a Bad Thing) but leave others intact.
I've done this once by hand, and it's a tedious job that could be
automated relatively easy. But I'm not volunteering :-P

Just my 2 cents.

--
Maarten