Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Too Many Files

From: Dave Kempe
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Too Many Files
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 17:58:19 +1000

Hi Rick,
we routinely handle massive amounts of files and data. Rdiff starts the backup at the begining and doesn't hold the list of files and metadata in memory like rsync, so it doesn't suffer from that problem as much. a 200Gb backup job is fine. I have a few 900Gb jobs that work ok as well. Bandwidth and disk i/o are the problems mostly

dave

Rick wrote:
Hi list,

I would like to know wether rdiff-backup will come to grief on large systems.

I have a couple of machines with around 200 Gb on each, and are concerned wether rdiff-backup would deal with "Too Many Files" does it have limitations on how many files, or is it a matter of memory and temp space.

I thought to do the base dirs bin boot etc all as seperate jobs, but then I also wanted any/all symlinks or files from the root dir...
I didnt find a -maxdepth or -mindepth switch...

Users views much appreciated.

My first subscription...
Hoping Im not flamed,

Cheers