Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Problem with CIFS and Hard Links

From: Doug Renfrew
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Problem with CIFS and Hard Links
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 14:04:19 -0500

Your right. I guess I just looked at the first warning about hard linking and assumed that that was it. I have tested the mount and it is case insensitive. From the bug report bellow it appears to have been fixed in a more recent version. I was reluctant to install the "unstable" version. Is there any reason why I should not?

Doug

On 3/1/07, Andrew D Ferguson (address@hidden) <address@hidden > wrote:
> I have a Buffalo TeraStation Pro (small linux based NAS) [1] connected
> through a hub to my Fedora Core 6 file server. The TeraStation (TS)
> usesSamba to share files and I have the backup directory on the TS
> mounted to
> /backup of my file server the using the following line in my
> /etc/fstab file
> [2].

Doug,

I believe your problem is the same as the one mentioned here:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?16852

I'm curious why you believe your problem is releated to hard links? My thinking is that it is connected to the 'a' and 'A' files that are created during that test. Do you know if your SAMBA mount is case sensitive or not? I think that is the crux of the issue.

Thanks,
Andrew

--
Andrew Ferguson - address@hidden

P. Douglas Renfrew
Graduate Student
Molecular and Cellular Biophysics Program
Dept. Biochemistry and Biophysics
Unv. of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
cell: (919)618-0700
lab: (919)843-1294