Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Exception 'CRC check failed'

From: rdiff
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Exception 'CRC check failed'
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 11:26:19 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007, Guenevere Prawiroatmodjo wrote:

Hello,

My last backup failed because of a hardware error, which probably caused some corrupt files in the process. When I use --check-desination-dir on the backup folder the following error msg appears:

This problem has come up many times on the mailing list, and so far there is not a good fix for it. DEVELOPERS: If you can think of a good fix which could be added to --check-destination-dir, this would be wonderful!

I don't know enough about the inner workings of the rdiff-backup-data tree, but usually this error appears when one of the .gz files was incomplete. Try this:

find rdiff-backup-data/ -name '*.gz" | while read a; do
        echo -n "$a:"
        gzip --test "$a"
done

This will tell you which files are bad. In our case, we had a problem with the mirror_metadata files. Search the archive for specifics, but basically I copied a good mirror_metadata over the bad mirror_metadata and crossed my fingers. It worked for us, though I do not know the implications here. After doing this surgery, you might try a restore of the past few backup dates and make sure it is successful. Worst case, you rm-rf rdiff-backup-data, though you will loose your increments. If you come up with any good ideas, please let us know!

-Eric