Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Problem on OS X

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Problem on OS X
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 17:48:50 -0500

Jeremy Yan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just decided to switch to rdiff-back from rsync for our lab's data.
>
> First of all, I like the incremental way of backup things. Second,
> rdiff-back claim to be able to back up all the information on a Mac OS X
> file system.
>
> However I am having some problems. I did not do a thorough test, but I
> have noticed that rdiff-backup cannot backup Finder color lable.

Jeremy,

The Finder color label information works just fine for me. What version
of Mac OS X are you using? 10.4 is the first one that supported extended
attributes. Before 10.3, color labels might have been stored in some
other manner.

Also, try creating a test folder with a single file and giving it a
color label. Then backup the folder with rdiff-backup but use "-v8" or
"-v9" as an option to increase the logging. Send us the log file if the
color label is not backed-up and maybe we can see what's wrong.

Best,
Andrew

--
Andrew Ferguson - address@hidden