Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup for email

From: Michael Simms
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup for email
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 15:15:23 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Hi,

All good points below, thanks!

We use UW-Imapd with mbx mailboxes. That means a user's inbox is 1 file. Users can also store other mail folders on the server, but it's not like maildir where every message is a new file. This can lead to problems when a file changes while it's being backed up, but that happens in our current backup environment also.

We currently use Legato and do only full backups. That's because, due to the way the mail is stored, a lot of files change every day. Incrementals were using 70% of the storage, and taking longer than fulls because of the extra processing time. I see rdiff-backup as a way to cut down significantly on the amount of space being used for incrementals. I'll have to weigh the pros and cons.

--
Thanks,

Michael