Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Merging multiple sources

From: Chris Wilson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Merging multiple sources
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 09:47:50 +0100 (BST)

Hi Matt,

I'm interested in whether or not rdiff-backup will be able to take a
backup of one source, then take a backup of a second source and "merge"
the two so that I then have a single copy of all the latest data. If
anyone knows anything about this I would appreciate your insight.

If you're not already backing up both sources with rdiff-backup, then I'm afraid the answer is definitely no. rdiff-backup is just rsync with history, and you wouldn't have any history.

If you are already using rdiff-backup on both sources, to different destinations, then the answer is "not yet". Technically you could restore both to a point in time where they were identical, and then apply changes from the history in both repositories. However, this code has not been written, as far as I know.

Merging two sources "properly" is very tricky, but you can approximate it by using rsync between the two (once in each direction) but set to only overwrite older files with newer files, and to make backups.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Chris.
--