Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Creates a mirror with chmod 644 directories

From: Douglas Bollinger
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Creates a mirror with chmod 644 directories
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 21:39:06 -0400

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 19:11:08 -0700 (PDT)
dean gaudet <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Douglas Bollinger wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 31 May 2006 07:59:26 -0700 (PDT)
> > dean gaudet <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > this sounds like an older bug... what version are you using?
> >
> > Sorry.  I'm using 1.0.1-r1, the "stable" version in Gentoo.
> >
> > I'll bump-up to 1.0.4 and see if the problem persists.
>
> hmm the bugs i'm thinking of were fixed in 0.13.2 and 0.13.3 ...
>
> can you whip up a sequence of shell commands which recreates the bug?  i
> tried several things and in all cases i got a backup which worked, and a
> restore which worked... i'm assuming the source side of the backup runs as
> root and the dest as non-root.

OK, here's a better bug report.

Using: rdiff-backup 1.0.4 on source and dest.

Source: Runs as root
Dest: a non-root, regular user

Source: Make a directory with 644 perms:

address@hidden ~/.gnome2 $ ll
total 188K
drw-r--r-- 2 doug users 4.0K 2006-05-27 08:23 accels

It will backup without any problems at dest...

address@hidden ~/backup_sets/ghidorah/home/doug/.gnome2 $ ls -l
total 188
drw-r--r-- 2 backup users  4096 May 27 08:23 accels

But now the backup user at dest can't enter that directory anymore...

address@hidden ~/backup_sets/ghidorah/home/doug/.gnome2 $ cd accels
-su: cd: accels: Permission denied

I believe at some point having a directory that a normal user at the dest
can't enter will be a problem.  At least, when rdiff-backup-data became
corrupt and I erased it, rdiff-backup couldn't create a new data directory
until I put sane 730 perms on all the backup directories at source and dest.

Granted, this was using the older version, but I'm leary of nuking the new
rdiff-backup-data directory as it takes hours to create and I would like to
keep the backup revisions for now.  Besides, once the 644 perms directories
are created, I don't see how a normal user on dest can get around entering the
directory.  Or am I wrong on this?

Of course, the solution for me was to have sane perms for directories at the
source, but this seems like a bug if you wish to backup as a normal user at
dest.

--
The luck that is ordained for you will be coveted by others.