Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup to LinkStation: *slow*

From: Felix E. Klee
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup to LinkStation: *slow*
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 09:24:52 +0200

At Wed, 31 May 2006 23:17:33 +0200,
Felix E. Klee wrote:
> I'm curious to see how well rdiff-backup performs in day to day use,
> when only a small number of files changes.

It performs very badly.  Last night, I rdiff'ed a file system sized 7GB
to the LinkStation.  Today, I re'rdiff'ed it again, and it took ca. 60
minutes, although only small changes had been made since the initial
backup.  Two subsequent re'rdiff's (with different options) also took
about 60minutes each.

Options used for the first and second re'rdiff:

  --exclude-other-filesystems --ssh-no-compression

Options used for the second and third re'rdiff:

  --exclude-other-filesystems --ssh-no-compression --no-compression

In all three cases, "top" on the LinkStation showed that the
rdiff-backup server was running with more than 90% CPU utilization.

--
Felix E. Klee