[rdiff-backup-users] Resource forks on OS X, v1.1.5

From: Wout Mertens
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Resource forks on OS X, v1.1.5
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 11:01:56 +0200

Heya,

ok, so nice job on being able to store OS X metadata and resource forks.

Only, there's a problem: There is no limit to the size of resource forks on OS X, and they're apparently stored every time you sync, in the mirror_data file.

In my home directory, I have 22MB of resource fork data. You can check the size yourself with something like : (bash)

$ time find . -type f | while read f; do [ -s "$f/rsrc" ] && ls - l "$f/rsrc"; done | awk '{s += $5} END{print s " bytes in " NR " resource forks"}'
22033265 bytes of resource forks, 595 files

I don't know how rdiff-backup works, but I don't think it's a good idea to store the resource forks together with the metadata. Would it be possible to have _filename_metadata or something like that in the mirror?

Of course, if the mirror filesystem supports it, you might just store the resource forks as a resource fork...

Thoughts?

Wout.