Re: [rdiff-backup-users] How to limit a restore to a single directory (w

From: dean gaudet
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] How to limit a restore to a single directory (without the subdirectories)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 00:46:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Olaf Dabrunz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> something accidentially deleted all files in a directory, but not the
> subdirectories or any files in there. In other words, something did a
> "rm -f dir/*" (non-recursive).
>
>      before          after
>      ------          -----
>      dir1/           dir1/
>      file1           dir2/
>      dir2/
>      file2
>
> How do I tell rdiff-backup to just restore the files in the directory,
> but not the subdirectories? (Scanning all subdirectories takes hours...)

the only way i can think of to do this may not be faster than restoring
everything... but anyhow... find the appropriate subdirectory beneach
dest/rdiff-backup-data/increments/ then issue a restore command for each
.diff or .snapshot file...

see the man page, search for "The second way to restore files"...

i think you have to issue an rdiff-backup for each of the files though...
so that's why it may not be faster.

-dean