Re: [rdiff-backup-users] cron script for rdiff-backup

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] cron script for rdiff-backup
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 21:27:04 -0600

>  I found the cause of a recent problem on my system where some diffs
> were corrept and couldn't be removed.
>
> It turns out that something happened to cron and and anacron, causing
> them both to run the backup sumiltaniously. This in turn killed my all
> my prior increments.
>
> I whipped up a python script to be called from cron. It creates a PID
> file, and reads the backup session arguments from a config file. It
> also sends entries to syslog, and all stdout to a file in /var/log/.
>
> Is this something anyone would want to include in the distribution, or
> leave it to the end user?
> Is this already done somehow?
> If anyone wants to see it, is it OK to attach code to the mailing list?

I'm not sure I'd include it in the distribution, but it sounds
interesting.  You should at least put it or a link to it in the wiki
(there are some other scripts there).

Also note that the devel version writes its PID to the current_mirror
file.  It will exit (unless you use --force) if it thinks an existing
rdiff-backup process is writing to the same repository.

--
Ben Escoto