[rdiff-backup-users] Update errors - file does not match source

From: Kevin Horton
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Update errors - file does not match source
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 15:58:46 -0500

I'm running rdiff-backup 1.1.5 on OS X 10.4.4. I'm getting eight errors like:

Cannot read carbonfile information from /Users/kwh/Desktop/RV_Stuff/ POH archive/graphs/all-3.gp UpdateError Desktop/RV_Stuff/POH archive/graphs/all-3.gp Updated mirror temp file /Volumes/Maxtor_300/bu/PowerMac/Desktop/RV_Stuff/POH archive/graphs/rdiff-backup.tmp.2 does not match source

These errors are consistent - I see the same errors for the same files every time I backup. The backup finishes apparently normally, with no errors listed in the session statistics. The files that have the UpdateErrors have apparently not changed since I first started using rdiff-backup. They have modification times of March 2005, or earlier. If I look in the backup directory, those files do not appear. I.e. they are not backed up.

What do these errors mean?

What could have caused the situation that triggers these errors?

I think it would be better if rdiff-backup somehow made it very clear to the user that some files were not backed up. I picked it up by studying the output, but I would have missed them if I only looked at the number of errors at the end of the session statistics. The fact that some files are not backed up could be very important, depending on what the files are.

Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada