Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff to SMB share?

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff to SMB share?
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 16:29:51 -0600

> Yes, you're right. I tried creating the file manually with:
>
>   $ touch '5-_ a.'
>   touch: cannot touch `5-_ a.': No such file or directory
>
> but, the same works with '5-_ a.a'. The filesystem is a remote
> Windows share. It doesn't seem to accept files with empty space
> after a dot. If I try to do this from a Windows machine, it simply
> ignores the trailing dot and makes a file with no dots in it. This
> seems to be a general rule in Windows, it doesn't matter where I
> create the file, it doesn't seem to accept the dot to be the last
> character in a file name.
>
> Would it be possible to add this condition to the sanity check in
> rdiff-backup?

Sure, the sanity case was just supposed to check whether basic
characters were allowed.  I just checked in this simple patch:

                def sanity_check():
                        """Make sure basic filenames writable"""
-                       for filename in ['5-_ a.']:
+                       for filename in ['5-_ a.snapshot.gz']:
                                rp = subdir.append(filename)
                                rp.touch()
                                assert rp.lstat()

which is a better test anyway.