Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Force RSH for rdiff-backup?

From: Michael Nguyen
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Force RSH for rdiff-backup?
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:25:57 -0800

> Hi,
>
> Try the --remote-schema option.
>
> Perhaps something like
> rdiff-backup --remote-schema "rsh %s rdiff-backup --server"
> Although on my system rsh has been replaced with ssh anyway. Or even
> just use the --ssh-no-compression option. I don't actually think the
> overhead of ssh itself is *that* high.

Hmm....well, I don't know if it's valid or not but I ran two tests...one FTP
and one SCP.  FTP pushed about 960MB/min.  SCP was around 472 MB/min.

Whether FTP and SCP correlate well to RCP/RSH vs. SCP/SSH is unknown to me,
but I *assumed* that it would.

We do these nightly backups of a huge user mail system (using rdiff-backup
of course!) and I'm just trying to gain any edge I can.  It started with cp
+ hard links with rsync, then moved to rdiff-backup.  Now it's RSH vs. SSH.
It's all about getting my backups to as close to real-time as possible
without spending more money.  ;-)

Thanks guys!

Michael