Re: [rdiff-backup-users] UpdateError issue

From: Erik Milosevic
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] UpdateError issue
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:47:24 +0000

address@hidden wrote:

On 26 Jul 2004, Erik Milosevic <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

I'm having an issue with rdiff-backup, where I get a slew up UpdateErrors of the form:

UpdateError <source file> File changed from regular file before signature

From browsing the archives, it seems this problem is related to the source file in question being changed while rdiff-backup is processing it. This makes sense in my situation, and I wouldn't be distraught if rdiff-backup just skipped them that time.

However, it seems that it continues to skip backing up the file, and continues to throw the error, on subsequent runs. I haven't been able to correct the problem by passing options like --force. Why is this? And what can I do to correct it - do I manually have to copy in the missing files?

Is there anything special about the file that fails?  Is it being
updated by a script?  Was it ever a symlink or device or fifo file,
etc?

The files that fail were all mail files - normal files, except they get deleted/moved around a lot by people and filters.

Also, something I just realized: the files that are causing errors _do not exist_, neither in the source directories, nor the rdiff-backup mirror. For example:

UpdateError home/people/emilosevic/.maildir/cur/1090847657.22327_0.brave:2,ST File changed from regular file before signature

The file 1090847657... exists neither at that path, nor in the backup directory. I also don't see it in the rdiff-backup-data/increments folder. I'm guessing that the file was just left in some meta-data somewhere, but I don't know how to clean it out to get rid of the error messages.

Thanks,
Erik